Left Ventricular Pseudoaneurysm as a Complication of Myocardial Infarction; A Case Series and Review of the Literature
Introduction: Pseudoaneurysm may occur as a rare complication of myocardial infarction (MI) when a hemorrhagic process is covered by adherence of the visceral or parietal pericardium or of both, preventing the formation of cardiac tamponade. Pseudoaneurysm is prone to rupture because they are not easy to diagnose. Case presentation: Here, we report three cases of left ventricular pseudo-aneurysm (LVP) that all were related to MI. Two patients were managed conservatively, one of them was lost to follow-up, and the other one expired one month later. One patient underwent surgery, but he expired during post-operation period. Conclusions: High mortality rate of LVP emphasizes the importance of looking for it in cardiac evaluation of patients with history of MI. Due to available non-invasive modalities, the ability to differentiate LVP from other cardiac pathologies is improving. Still, the most recommended management of LVP is early surgery.
2. Ho HH, Sinaga DA, Lee E, Watson TJ, Hon JKF. Left ventricular pseudoaneurysm. J Geriatr Cardiol. 2017; 14(1):78-80.
3. Bisoyi S, Dash AK, Nayak D, Sahoo S, Mohapatra R. Left ventricular pseudoaneurysm versus aneurysm a diagnosis dilemma. Ann Card Anaesth. 2016;19(1):169-72.
4. Alapati L, Chitwood WR, Cahill J, Mehra S, Movahed A. Left ventricular pseudoaneurysm: A case report and review of the literature. World J Clin Cases. 2014;2(4):90-3.
5. Ludmir J, Kapoor K, George P, Khural J, Barr B. Left ventricular pseudoaneurysm following inferior myocardial infarction: a case for conservative management. Cardiol Res. 2016;7(1):32-5.
6. Sheikh WR, Sehgal P, Verma A, Haldar M, Jaiswal S. Left ventricular pseudoaneurysm post myocardial infarction. Int J Crit Illn Inj Sci. 2019;9(1):43-5.
7. Gill S, Rakhit D, Ohri S, Harden S. Left ventricular true and false aneurysms identified by cardiovascular magnetic resonance. Br J Radiol. 2011;84(998):e035-7.
8. Chang RY, Tsai HL, Hsiao PG, Tan CW, Lee CP, Chu IT, et al. Comparison of the risk of left ventricular free wall rupture in Taiwanese patients with ST-elevation acute myocardial infarction undergoing different reperfusion strategies: a medical record review study. Medicine. 2016;95(44):e5308.
9. Hulten EA, Blankstein R. Pseudoaneurysms of the heart. Circulation. 2012;125(15):1920-5.
10. Si D, Shi K, Gao D, Yang P. Ruptured left ventricular pseudoaneurysm in the mediastinum following acute myocardial infarction: a case report. Eur J Med Res. 2013;18(1):2.
11. Petrou E, Vartela V, Kostopoulou A, Georgiadou P, Mastorakou I, Kogerakis N, et al. Left ventricular pseudoaneurysm formation: Two cases and review of the literature. World J Clin Cases. 2014; 2(10):581-6.
12. Matteucci M, Fina D, Jiritano F, Blankesteijn WM, Raffa GM, Kowaleski M, et al. Sutured and sutureless repair of postinfarction left ventricular free-wall rupture: a systematic review. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2019;56(5):840-8.
13. Dhakam S, Ahmeed H, Jafarani A. Percutaneous coronary intervention of left main pseudoaneurysm with customized covered stents. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2011;77(7):1033-5.
14. Dudiy Y, Jelnin V, Einhorn BN, Kronzon I, Cohen HA, Ruiz CE. Percutaneous closure of left ventricular pseudoaneurysm. Circ Cardiovasc Interv. 2011;4(4):322-6.
15. Brown KN, Singh R. Transcatheter Management of Left Ventricular Pseudoaneurysms. StatPearls [Internet]: StatPearls Publishing; 2019.
16. Díez-Villanueva P, Sarraj A, Navarrete G, Salamanca J, Pozo E, Reyes G, et al. Surgical Repair of Huge Left Ventricular Pseudoaneurysm After Sutureless Repair of Free Wall Rupture. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;103(2):e157-9.
17. Reyaldeen R, Jeffries C, Hardman D, Challa P, Dahiya A. Multimodality imaging in a case of chronic massive left ventricular pseudoaneurysm. CASE. 2018;2(3):95-8.
|Issue||Vol 5 No 3 (2021): Summer (July)|
|Case Reports False Aneurysm Myocardial Infarction Post-Infarction Heart Rupture|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|