Severe COVID-19 in a Postpartum Woman: A Three-Month Challenge with Convalescent Plasma and Corticosteroid
Introduction: Management of seriously ill patients infected with new corona virus (SARS-CoV-2) is challenging especially in pregnancy and postpartum state. Case presentation: A 39- year-old primigravid critically ill woman with acute respiratory distress (ARDS) due to confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection underwent urgent cesarean delivery (a healthy neonate) at 33 weeks and 5/7 of pregnancy. She received treatments including hydroxychloroquine, antivirals and broad-spectrum antibiotics while she was intubated for mechanical ventilation. In spite of all treatments, she developed a critical course after the mild primary clinical improvement. Convalescent plasma transfusion as a rescue treatment was performed and led to an improvement in her general condition and delayed gradual recovery in respiratory function after two months. Conclusion: The promising role of early treatment with convalescent plasma transfusion in seriously ill pregnant women infected with SARS-CoV-2, needs to be elucidated by further randomized studies.
2. Dashraath P, Jing Lin Jeslyn W, Mei Xian Karen L, Li Min L, Sarah L, Biswas A, et al. Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pandemic and Pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2020;23(20):30343-4.
3. Cheng Y, Wong R, Soo YO, Wong WS, Lee CK, Ng MH, et al. Use of convalescent plasma therapy in SARS patients in Hong Kong. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2005;24(1):44-6.
4. Tanne JH. Covid-19: FDA approves use of convalescent plasma to treat critically ill patients. BMJ. 2020;368:m1256.
5. Favre G, Pomar L, Qi X, Nielsen-Saines K, Musso D, Baud D. Guidelines for pregnant women with suspected SARS-CoV-2 infection. Lancet Infect Dis. 2020;20(6):652-3.
6. Luo Y, Yin K. Management of pregnant women infected with COVID-19. Lancet Infect Dis. 2020;24(20):30191-2.
7. Chen L, Xiong J, Bao L, Shi Y. Convalescent plasma as a potential therapy for COVID-19. Lancet Infect Dis. 2020;20(4):398-400.
8. Zhang B, Liu S, Tan T, Huang W, Dong Y, Chen L, et al. Treatment with convalescent plasma for critically ill patients with SARS-CoV-2 infection. Chest. 2020;158(1):e9-13.
9. Soleimani Z, Soleimani A. ADRS due to COVID-19 in midterm pregnancy: successful management with plasma transfusion and corticosteroids. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2020;1-4.
|Issue||Vol 5 No 4 (2021): Autumn (October)|
|Section||Case (report / study)|
|Blood Component Transfusion Convalescent Plasma Transfusion COVID-19 Pregnancy SARS-CoV-2|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|